Lost Blueprint

LOST BLUEPRINT: Serious, slanted, fictional journalism

3.22.2006

Best Show Ever: Concerts from the Past

by Razz Trumble
Music Guy

Since there is currently a drought in the concert scene, or, to be more precise, a drought in my finances and a tight ass blog host who won't pay for concert tickets, I have been left to describe concerts of years past in order to fulfill my obligatory weekly column for Lost Blueprint.

The best show ever had to be the Jesus Lizard at Lounge Ax. This is because Lounge Ax had $1 Hubers and acoustics that left you with a ringing in your ears for three weeks. Also, Lounge Ax is no longer there and I cry my eyes out every time I think of it. Fucking condo motherfuckers. Anyway, the show was amazing despite the fact I can barely remember anything other than throwing myself into all my friends as we usually do to show that we care about each other. Some people call this a mosh pit. My friends and I call it bonding.

The next best show ever was a double whammy: Soul Coughing doing an in-store at Tower Records and then a road trip to Milwaukee to see the Jesus Lizard in some huge place that I can't remember the name of, but I remember we got lost trying to find it and the bottles of whiskey that accompanied us from Chicago were not helping with the navigational investigation. Anyway, we found the place, got there before the show started, and I remember them ending the show with David Yow saying, "I'm going home to make love to my wife." I cried. What kind of rock god are you when you can mix it up hard core and then go home to the wife?

The next best show ever was a show one year at Taste of Chicago but I can't remember who it was because I was tripping on acid and we stopped by The Weather Channel's tent and all the sales people there had weather patterns painted on their faces and I burst out laughing and didn't stop until the next morning. Man, that was a fucking great show.

There are many more best shows ever, but I'll save the telling of them for next week since I don't see a windfall of money coming my way anytime soon.