Lost Blueprint

LOST BLUEPRINT: Serious, slanted, fictional journalism

11.03.2006

Concert Review: Twilight Singers

by Razz Trumble

I love Greg Dulli. I don't normally go for dudes, but I love Greg Dulli. If he were ice cream, I'd put him in a sugar cone and lick him. If he were hummus, I'd scoop him up with pita bread and eat him. If he were a lovingly-made microbrew from Wisconsin, I'd get drunk off a case of him. Well, two cases of him.

But that would mean I'd have to put an end to him and that would be the greatest tragedy to hit civilization since the invention of boy bands.

The CDs I have of the Twilight Singers are prettily produced. There's an aerial quality to them--layers of vocals and strings. But their live show at Double Door on Wednesday night was all balls out guitar crunching rock and screaming vocals and perfectly-timed background vocals and smashing drums and driving bass lines and it so fucking rocked I almost forgot to get drunk. I could listen to Greg Dulli scream into a microphone for the rest of my life, and I'm happy to say that on Wednesday night, I realized I could listen to the rest of that band play whatever they wanted to play on whatever instrument they wanted to play it for the rest of my life, too.

Mark Lanegan sang three songs. He sounds just like the singer from Screaming Trees, which is good, since he is.

The drummer deserves special mention since he just beat the hell out of that drum set all night and it was so good I kept bebopping around the Double Door like an electrified fish.

Cover songs thrown into the mix throughout the night:
Amazing Grace (!)
She Loves You (Yeah, Yeah, Yeah)
Killing Moon

The only bad part of this show is that it ended.

To summate, drink beer. And go see the Twilight Singers.